Sunday, July 29, 2007

Mornings with "ze Germans"

I'm starting to see how people can try and play more than one game at the same time. When you're not in a hand, things can get boring. I know that I should be watching how people bet, but since this is only for play money anyway it's not like I can expect everyone to take the game seriously. For example, there's this player who came in with the minimum 1k chips and immediately went all-in pre-flop... and other people called him! And what kills me is that he eventually won the pot, and tripled-up.

Playing "right" is also killing me, but as many folks say, it's better to play right than to play stupid. I folded J-x, only to see two more of them come up on the board and I could have throttled myself. But according to this website once you get below J-10 suited, your odds of winning the pot are less than 15% and those aren't good odds at all.

Dealer: Game #11196654068: Tr1shaLynn wins pot (310) with a straight, Deuce to Six

In my pocket was 4-6o, and the flop gave me the 3 and the 5. Two outs meant that I had a 22% chance of catching the straight on either the turn or the river (I think; someone check my math, please?). I realize now that I probably could have bet more when the river gave me the deuce I needed. Any more than the $50, though, might have scared them off and there were two of them in there so that I think that was okay.

Dealer: Game #11196852527: Tr1shaLynn wins pot (290) with three of a kind, Jacks

I did much better reeling the guy in with my Jack in the pocket, catching the third Jack on the turn. I was the aggressor, starting off with a bet of $30, which he called, and then raising it to $50, which he also called.

Summary: During current Hold'em session you were dealt 40 hands and saw flop:
- 4 out of 7 times while in big blind (57%)
- 4 out of 7 times while in small blind (57%)
[I choose to auto-post blinds so I don't hold people up and also so that I can see more cards.]
- 4 out of 26 times in other positions (15%)
- a total of 12 out of 40 (30%)
Pots won at showdown - 2 of 6 (33%)
Pots won without showdown - 0


Other than the fact that I play tight and I haven't gotten to a point to where I can say I'm a fantastic online player, I have no idea exactly how to interpret these stats. I remember enough about math to say that I can't compare the 30% that I see a flop is approximate to the 33% of the times that I won because there are several times when I was first to act and I'd check all the way to the river and then fold when someone raised. I can say that I can at least get an hour's entertainment out of an initial buy-in, and that bodes well for me when I go to Las Vegas for my 30th birthday part in September.

I guess I'm just going to have to be content with that for now.

No comments: